Tax Filing Information

by CFGITA Team

Tax Filing Documents & Information

What you’ll need to bring to our tax filing meeting. If you have your information in a Quicken Program, you can download and send me the file or print that out including a P&L Statement.


Basic Information:

New Clients:
  • Your Social Security cards for you, your spouse and children.  If you don’t have them, contact your local Social Security Office.  The  local one in Newport, RI is 130 Bellevue Avenue, Newport, RI 02840. Phone – (866)-253-5607.
  • Your tax returns from the last 2 years,
All Clients:

General Information:

  1. By the end of January, you’ll have received all of your tax documents from your employer, contractors and the government
  2. Medical cost information
  3. Social Security income
  4. Unemployment insurance forms
  5. Business and self-employment income
  6. Records of rental property expenses


  1. The interest on your mortgage
  2. Home Equity Line of Credit interest
  3. Medical insurance and non-reimbursed medical expenses including drugs, lab fees, co-pays, contact lenses and eyewear
  4. Donations – provide receipts, credit card charged records or cancelled checks
  5. Estimated taxes including Federal and State payment details
  6. IRA and Pension contributions
  7. Child care expenses – provide the name, address and business ID numbers of all providers
  8. Student loan interest
  9. Business self-employment expenses
  10. Rental expenses which might include:  mortgage interest, real estate taxes, insurance, repairs, maintenance, improvements, utilities and association fees.
  11. Tuition expenses, copy of form 1098T

Income Documents to include at our meeting

  1. W-2 for wages
  2. 1099-G for unemployment benefits received
  3. 1099- miscellaneous for freelance work
  4. 1099-R for annuity, IRA or pension income
  5. 1099-B and 1099-S for the sale of property or stocks
  6. 1099C – cancellation of debt forms
  7. W-2G for gambling winnings
  8. K-1 forms from Partnerships, “S” Corporation, Trusts & Estates

Residing in a State other than Rhode Island

Some states do not require a State Tax return.  If you have moved to a new state or have had a significant change in your financial situation, you may need to file a state tax return even if you have not previously done so.


Both 401k’s and traditional IRA’s can result in tax breaks depending on your situation.  This could potentially lower your tax liability and make your retirement more secure.

For IRA’s:

  • under 50 years old – you can contribute $6000/year
  • over 50 – you can contributed $7000/year

For 401K:

  • under 50 years old – $19,000/year
  • over 50 years old – $25,000/year